Saturday, April 20, 2013

Finishing the First Draft

By Mark Alpert

It was a terrible week in the news -- the bombs in Boston, the explosion in Texas, the failure of the background-check bill -- so it was a great relief to plunge into fiction. And fiction-wise, it was a wonderful week for me, because I completed the first draft of my next novel. My daily word count always rises to extraordinary (at least for me) levels when I’m nearing the end, partly because I get caught up in the climax of the book and partly because I just want to finish the darn thing. I love writing 2,000 words a day, but it also makes me feel bad about how little I write at other times. I say to myself, “Why can’t you write this much all the time? Then you could knock off a novel in two months and spend the rest of the year on your tennis game.”

I can’t reveal any details about the book because I hate talking about my novels while I’m still writing them. And I know I’ll be revising this book for the next few months, so it’s not really finished. But completing the first draft is a big milestone for me. At least I know now how the book will end. I had a vague idea of the ending while I was writing the manuscript, but I wasn’t sure how it would all come together until I started the final chapter. Before that moment I worried I would hit some unforeseen obstacle -- a logical inconsistency, or maybe a hopelessly implausible plot twist -- and the whole enterprise would fall apart.
But it didn’t. At this point I have no idea whether the book is any good, but at least it hangs together. Now I have to wait to hear from my editor. He already read the beginning of the book, and he liked it, but I don’t know how he’ll feel about the end. I’m not even sure how I feel about it. I’m too close to the thing. But I’m cautiously optimistic. The reason for my optimism: bullet ants. The ending has a scene featuring bullet ants. You see, I just broke my rule about never revealing details of a novel-in-progress, but I couldn’t help it. Bullet ants are fascinating creatures.

Although I still have lots of work to do on the book, I decided to reward myself for finishing the first draft. So I spent three days biking and playing tennis. (I have to work off the five pounds I gained while writing the novel.) The best reward, though, was simply writing THE END at the bottom of the last page of the manuscript. I have no idea how many times I’ll be able to write those words in my life, so I intend to enjoy the experience as much as possible every time it happens.

 

7 comments:

  1. Hey, congrats, Mark. That is always such a good feeling. I like that idea of the reward at the end. I counsel new writers to create one of those as an inducement to doing one of the most important things of all: finishing that draft. Your own reward is unique and impressive. I don't think I could play tennis on my bike.

    And I resonate with those "doubts" about whether the draft is "any good." I hear this a lot with experienced writers, and I think what's going on is that the more we write, the more we know, and the more we know the higher we set our standards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Mark. It's always a fulfilling emotion to make it through the first-draft journey. I think every writer wonders if the work is any good, I know I do. I agree with Jim, the more you know, the more you question. You're now in the part of the writing process I love: rewriting. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who wonders if it's "any good."

    I'm close to the end of my first draft, and my reward is a three-day getaway with hubby where he goes to a work-related class all day and I sit in the hotel room plotting my next novel. The kids will be with Grandpa for those three days. That's an incentive with a due date attached.

    Can't wait to read your book when it comes out. Now I'm interested in bullet ants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: Why the writing goes fast toward the end:

    I heard Mike Connelly explain this once as the first part of a book being like pushing a heavy boulder up a huge hill. But once you crest and start downhill it's all you can do to keep up with the damn thing!

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would agree that there's a great degree of satisfaction with finishing that first draft, even if you know there's a lot of work yet to be done. Good for you. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. High fives on finishing the draft. Yes, it's been an anquish-ridden week. So I really needed to hear a writing-related victory. Thanks and chin up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job! Can't wait until I get to that point myself with my first novel.

    I'm especially keen to learn more about your bullet ants...

    ReplyDelete