Thursday, September 27, 2012

Crime Fiction Rocks at 2012 Bouchercon Mystery Conference!

by Jordan Dane
@JordanDane




I’ll be attending one of my favorite conferences is coming up on Oct 4-7, 2012 in Cleveland, Ohio. Bouchercon is a world mystery convention that has been taking place annually since 1970. It’s open to anyone and is a place for fans, authors and publishing industry professionals to gather and celebrate their love of the mystery genre. It is named for a famed mystery critic Anthony Boucher. During the convention there are panels, discussions and interviews with authors and people from the mystery community covering all parts of the genre. There are signing events for people to meet their favorite authors face-to-face and get books signed. Bouchercon also has the Anthony Awards which are also named after Anthony Boucher. These are voted on by the attendees and given out during the convention. For more, click HERE. Guests of honor for 2012 include: Elizabeth George, Robin Cook, Mary Higgins Clark, Les Roberts, Librarian Doris Ann Norris, and toastmaster John Connolly.

Fellow TKZer Michelle Gagnon and I will be on a YA panel for the first time. I’m really looking forward to that. If you are attending, I’d love to meet you. Please confirm any of these times with the final program.

 
12:15 - 1:05 PM Thurs, Oct 4, 2012
Grand Ballroom B
The Popularity of YA Books panel - How do authors appeal to young readers and keep them interested in reading? Book signing will be held in the dealer room following the panel. Joining Jordan will be Michelle Gagnon, Joelle Charboneau, Bev Irwin, and moderated by Keir Graff.


I’ll be on another fun panel featuring romantic suspense with Heather Graham, Lori Armstrong, C. J. Lyons, with Monette Michaels as moderator. We may have a mystery guest to round out our group. We’re still waiting to hear. Stay tuned.
 

3:50-4:40 PM, Friday, Oct 5, 2012
Location: TBA
"I used to love her, but I had to kill her” Guns & Roses Panel - Moderated by author Monette Michaels, stellar panelists Heather Graham, Lori Armstrong, C. J. Lyons, and Jordan Dane will discuss romance in thrillers. Hallmark doesn't make a card for "I'd take a bullet for you, honey" but our panel of bestselling authors share their titillating secrets on how they spice up their thrillers with Guns & Roses. (Door prizes and giveaways for those in attendance. Grand prize is a NOOK color e-reader for one lucky winner.)

Prior to this panel, Mike Bursaw will host a “Booze & Broads” signing event at the Mystery Mike’s booth in the dealer Book Room for the authors. Alcoholic libations will be served, a shot at a time.

HERE is the attendees list for 2012, but I understand TKZ’s Joe Hartlaub and Michelle Gagnon will be in attendance (as well as another TKZ veteran, John Gilstrap) so I hope to finally meet them all over a cool beverage.
 
Anyone else going to Bouchercon this year? TKZers—have you ever been? I’d love to hear from you.

27 comments:

  1. Only been to one Bouchercon, the one here in Anchorage AK in 2007, and it was a blast. I hope to go to one again soon. That and ITW are my two big conferences I'd love to attend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at the Bcon in AK in 2007, Basil. I met my ITW debut author buddies, visited with my long time AK friends, & took research photos for my book, EVIL WITHOUT A FACE. Good times. The conference was great.

      Delete
  2. I'll be there, showered, shaved and tap-dancin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to meeting you, Joe. Woot!

      Delete
  3. Can't make it this year, Jordan, but I've really enjoyed going in the past. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe. Wish you could make it. I hope to meet a few TKZers there (for the first time). Michelle, Boyd, & Joe H. That alone will be worth the trip.

      Delete
  4. I will indeed be there. B-Con and T-Fest are the two I work very hard not to miss each year.

    My panel is at 11:30 on Friday morning, and it's called Manfiction: Stories of tough guys who get the job done. Andrew Gulli of The Strand will be moderating, and other panelists include Max Allan Collins, Leonard Rosen, Andrew Grant and Andrew Kaplan. It should be a pretty good show.

    And you might could be able to find me in the bar in the evening. Can't wait!

    John Gilstrap
    www.johngilstrap.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be my fourth Bouchercon. Looking forward to seeing everyone there. My panel is on Saturday at 9am, and it's called Give Me a Thrill: Edge of your seat action that makes you stay up way past your bedtime (wow, I didn't realize until I typed the title that this could be a panel about 50 Shades of Grey). The moderator is Karen Dionne, and my fellow panelists are Linwood Barclay, Mike Cooper, James Tabor, and Owen Laukkanen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You panel sounds really good, John G. Hope to see you over a cool beverage in the bar too. An author's natural habitat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne--I wish you could be there too. BCon is always fun. Lots of characters show up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boyd--Your panel sounds good too. 50 shades, huh. I know your moderator, Karen Dionne. You're in good hands. Have fun in Cleveland, the heart of rock n roll.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jordan, wish I could go. This is the first I'm hearing about it but definitely something I'd love. I guess it's at a different location each year? Hope you have an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Alice--Great to see you here. Yes, they move Bouchercon around the country to some great locations each year. It's a reader based conference, so you should definitely consider attending as an author. Your romantic suspense books would get some reader love. Organizers do their best to get every author on a panel, which is handled differently than RWA does their proposal way. You'd have a better shot at getting on a panel, which is always fun. Happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Conferences are always inspiring. Hope you have lots of industry buzz to share when you come home. Take notes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Jordan -- Thanks for posting about our panel. I think anyone who attends will have a blast because we are deadly, but gorgeous, women who write sexy and dark at the same time. Who doesn't love sex and dark? Can't wait to see you -- and the bar is the place to be at this con, trust me on that one.-- Monette

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited to go, and to be on a panel with you, Jordan! I love Bcon, haven't missed one in years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey there Nancy. I'm not much of a note taker, I'm afraid, but if I hear any good skuttlebutt, I'll be sure to mention it. There's no note taking in the bar.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha, Moni! Great to see your here. You guys, Monette is the best panel moderator - EVER. I don't know how she does everything she does, but I am really looking forward to meeting this dynamo. I feel so lucky she asked me on her panel. Truly.

    Cheers, Moni!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Michelle. It will be weird that we are on a YA panel together at BCon too, but I am excited about that...and meeting you for the first time. It's about time, huh?

    Cheers! And I'm so excited about your debut YA - DON'T TURN AROUND - being featured on Entertainment Weekly's website. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Actually, I think I just read an email where Michelle Gagnon's YA debut got featured in EW's magazine too. Very proud of my girl.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks! It's in EW's magazing this week, too. I cleared out all the newsstands locally, so there probably aren't any copies available in the Bay Area or West Hollywood anymore ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. HA! I would buy out the west coast too. HUGE news. I wish I still subscribed to EW. I'd send you an extra.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Damn...the one year I decide not to go! I really wanted to meet all you guys since I have only met Kathryn, John and Joe before.

    Well, bend an elbow for me and have a great time on your panels.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know. I've met you & your sis at my first Bcon, but if you insist we raise a glass in Cleveland, okay.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ill be there & plan on attending the romantic suspense panel. This will be my first conference. And I get to promote my debut novel launching in 2 weeks. I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Nancy. Be sure to say hello after. I'd love to hear more about your book. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete